Keep Your Home Safe With a Security System
What Are Home Security Systems?
As its name infers, a home security system is a method of being able to watch over your home through the use of devices that are all connected through a compatible network.
Think about it like the security measures that shops or museums take to monitor the premises of their property, but for your home. With today’s technology, these impressive monitoring systems are not limited to wealthy estates or elite establishments.
The popularization of technology has led to the development of different electronics all aimed at helping you keep an eye on your home, no matter where you are.
There is a whole range of different devices depending on what you are looking for in a potential security system. Some of the more popular products incorporate:
- Motion sensors: Motion sensors can allow you to tell if someone is on your premises. These can be hooked up to cameras that will record whoever walks onto your yard. More commonly, they are attached to lights that will turn on whenever an intruder approaches. This can be especially useful at night as it can deter burglary and let you know someone is prowling about. Even beyond the scope of a potential home invader, it can deter wild animals from inviting themselves onto your property when you aren’t around.
- Security cameras: As you may have seen at stores, you can also have security cameras set up around your home. These come in many forms, both wired and wireless, with a large range of subtlety. This means you have your cameras placed in a way that deliberately displays them, or has them hidden. Many devices allow you to monitor cameras directly through your phone or computer.
- Loud alarms: If sensors detect that an intruder comes into your home, loud sirens can alert your family the second they go off. These alarms can also scare home invaders before they manage to enter your home.
- Window and door sensors: Window and door sensors allow you to subtly know whether or not an entrance (or exit) to your home has been fiddled with. Great for knowing when people are coming in or out of your home.
Pros and Cons of Home Security Systems
Many people find that home security systems are an important element when it comes to their peace of mind. Why doesn’t everyone have them then? Well, the pros and cons of home security systems may not be as straightforward as you think.
- Deters crime: Having these systems installed offers a preventative element to crimes
- Peace of mind: Knowing you have this layer of protection can make you feel better
- Can offer evidence: If a crime does happen, data recorded from surveillance devices can be used to track down the offender, or be used in the courtroom
- Convenient: Now that everyone has smart devices, it’s easy to watch your house on the go or in areas that are otherwise hard to see
- Save on home insurance: Some home insurance policies offer deductions on their premiums to homeowners who have installed security systems
- It can be costly: Depending on the devices you get, you may be looking at quite an expensive setup. You need to really consider what you have the budget for and what you need. Don’t forget some systems may require a subscription as well.
- Complicated Use: These systems are incredibly useful, but only if you know how to use them. If you are someone who isn’t very tech-savvy, you may not understand how to use it. If you don’t activate it or don’t know how to work it, it is essentially useless.
- False alarms: With sensors and alarms, there is always a chance that something harmless will set the system off. If you live in an area full of wild animals or have a lot of people walk around your property regularly, certain systems may be more irritating than helpful.
- Privacy: When using any kind of online device, there is a chance of being hacked. Some systems are more secure than others. This is something to always take into consideration when you are setting up a system that may be very personal. You don’t want to accidentally record something you don’t want other people to potentially see.
These are the kind of factors you need to consider when deciding if you want a home security system. The next step is to figure out what to get.
Our Top Picks
There are a lot of security systems and it can easily become overwhelming when you are deciding what to buy. If you’re not sure what to get, consider some of these top recommendations.
- Nest Smart Home: The Nest offers security devices for as little as $100 and monthly subscriptions as low as $5.
- Vivint Smart Home: Packages for this system start as low as $29.99 a month. You can contact the company for a personal equipment cost quote.
- SimpliSafe: Packages begin around $300 with a $14.99 monthly subscription fee. Different packages include different offerings, so take the time to figure out what exactly you need.
Remember, if you need any help finding what’s right for you, contact a representative for more information on what is available, and ideal, for your home.